The project was a collaboration between researchers from:
- Human Centred Computing Group at the, University of Oxford
- Artificial Intelligence and its Applications Institute at the University of Edinburgh
- HORIZON Digital Economy Research at the University of Nottingham
Starting in December 2018 the EPSRC funded project “ReEnTrust: Rebuilding and Enhancing Trust in Algorithms” explores new technological opportunities for platforms to regain user trust and aims to identify how this may be achieved in ways that are user-driven and responsible. Focusing on AI algorithms and large scale platforms used by the general public, our research questions include:
- What are user expectations and requirements regarding the rebuilding of trust in algorithmic systems, once that trust has been lost?
- Is it possible to create technological solutions that rebuild trust by embedding values in recommendation, prediction, and information filtering algorithms and allowing for a productive debate on algorithm design between all stakeholders?
- To what extent can user trust be regained through technological solutions and what further trust rebuilding mechanisms might be necessary and appropriate, including policy, regulation, and education?
Please visit https://reentrust.org/ to know more about the project.